Florence Blood Pressure Monitoring
What is Flo?
‘Florence’, or ‘Flo’ as it is referred to, combines the expertise of healthcare professionals with the convenience of the patients' own mobile phone. Florence sends text reminders to patients, prompting them to check their blood pressure. Once the patient has taken their blood pressure, they can text the readings to Florence. The program will collate all the information provided and can be accessed by the clinician at any stage of the process. Flo can also send patients advice to act on, or ask the patient health related questions and give health promotion messages. This is all done via the familiar ’SMS’ text messaging system and is completely free of charge to patients.
What are the benefits of using Flo to Monitor Blood Pressure?
- Flo gives practitioners the opportunity to monitor patients’ blood pressure remotely, reducing the number of face-to-face appointments required to diagnose, titrate or monitor hypertension.
- Flo gives patients the opportunity to have their blood pressure monitored by the practice without having to attend the surgery, reducing inconvenience and travel cost.
- Flo can remove white-coat syndrome, optimising readings and clinical decision-making.
- Flo allows patients to understand their own condition and make lifestyle changes/seek medical advice as required to allow them to maintain longer, healthier lives. In short it can motivate patients to self-manage.
- Studies show long term hypertension monitoring with Flo encourages medication compliance and therefore reduces the risk of stroke and heart attack.
A nationally produced video to support the Florence programme can be viewed via the following link: Florence video link
The British Heart foundation also provides a 'how to' video to Managing your Blood Pressure at home: Managing your blood pressure at home
We encourage patients to purchase a home Blood Pressure device for self management of their blood pressure monitoring.
Florence information leaflet
Shared management plan
Florence privacy notice
Using Florence to help manage BP